For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Saturday 9 March 2024

Aeroplane Impression

I hate it when Dad

does his aeroplane impression.


I’ll be sitting there, feeling grumpy

about school or an argument with friends,


and Dad starts doing this flappy thing

with his lips – brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrrbrbr – 


I try to ignore him, but the noise

keeps going – brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrrbrbr – 


I tell him to stop, but the sound

gets even louder – BRBRBBBBRBBRBRBRBRBRBRRRBBR! – 


and it keeps on going –  BRBRBBBBRBBRBRBRBRBRBRRRBBR!!! – 

and he starts running around the living room,


his lips buzzing like a crazy propeller,

his arms outstretched like dumb, stupid wings,


and maybe, just maybe, I’ll begin to laugh. 

Or at least smile. And then, if I’m feeling up to it,


if the mood somehow takes me,

if I can bear to leave my troubles behind,


I’ll clamber aboard Dad’s back.

He’ll hold me in place with those big safe hands


and maybe, just maybe,

we both might fly.


Joshua Seigal