For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Wednesday 16 December 2020

ANIMAL/EMOTIONS POEMS FROM YEAR 9

 Last week I was very excited to run a workshop with a small group of Year 9 students at JCoSS (Jewish Community Secondary School) in East Barnet. I was a bit nervous about this one, because it was an idea I'd only very recently devised, so I was curious to see how it would go. Thankfully, it seemed to go well! The idea was this. I asked everyone to pick an emotion, and I then asked to following question: if your emotion was an animal, which animal would it be? I gave the students ten minutes or so to describe their animal in as much detail as possible, using interesting descriptions and vocabulary, along with their five senses. Once they had this bank of ideas, I then shared my poem The Tiger with them, which you can read here. The challenge was then to write the first draft of a poem, about their own animal. I am delighted to be able to share with you three poems. Two were written by students (who has only about ten to fifteen minutes to complete this task), and the third was written by their teacher, Miss Williams. (I love it when teachers get involved!). Feast your eyes on these beauties:

The Leopard of Fury by Daniel


Take one more step

The leopard of fury will chase after you

From the morning to the night

From the darkness to the light


Take one more glance

The leopard of fury will stare deeply

Into your eyes looking for fury

The fury within you


The leopard of fury will never hesitate

To unleash her fury


The leopard of fury will never hesitate

To make you vanish truly


For there is fury in everyone

Me

The leopard

And you


The Snake of Fear by Harry


Slithering through the blades of grass

She stares at you

She seeks fear among you

Her scaly back sharpens

As she comes closer

Nearer to your face

Her evil jaws open wide

Her venomous tongue reaches out

And she gives you

A kiss


The Swan of Love by Miss Williams (teacher)


Smooth

Curve of the feather...


and here it gets embarrassing: I can't read Miss Williams' writing!! I will let her own words speak for themselves: