For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Sunday 7 August 2016

Wonderful Words Workshop

I became a poet, basically, because I like words. I love how words sound, and the interesting things that can be done with them. Rowan Atkinson's famous 'schoolmaster' sketch is a perfect example of how certain words can be made to sound wonderful.


Watch this with students, and discuss why (or whether) it was funny. Based on this, students can write their own alphabetical 'school register'. This can either consist of words that would make interesting and weird names, or simply inherently great words. Here is my list. Read it out loud and savour each word like a Worthers Original:

Abacus
Bobcat
Clink
Diggle
Elk
Figment
Garble
Hammock
Igloo
Jolly
Kidderminster
Lummox
Muddle
Numpty
Oink
Pinch
Quango
Rex
Saliva
Tittle-Tattle
Umbrage
Vortex
Wombat
Xoxxy*
Yap
Zoology

*words can be made up.