For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Saturday 23 August 2014

THE BODY - poetry workshop idea for toddlers/KS1

First off, perform this poem of mine a couple of times, with appropriate actions:

Body Poem

I HEAR with my EARS
and I TAP with my TOES
My BOTTOM it SITS
and my ARM it THROWS.
My MOUTH it SHOUTS,
and as for my NOSE
it SNIFFS and it SNORTS
and it TWITCHES and BLOWS!
My LEGS they RUN,
just watch them go,
but let me say something
I want you to know:
some bits do A LOT
but the best bit does NOTHING
It’s this thing right here,

my BELLY BUTTON!

Next, cut out a selection of paper body parts - heads, bodies, arms and legs. On each piece, write sentences such as:

I.........with my head
I.........with my arm
I.........with my leg
I.........with my body, etc

The children need to stick the pieces of the body together, and fill in the sentences. I wouldn't worry too much if they stick them together the right way, or if they end up making some kind of bizarre monster - it is about creativity as much as anything. And with respect to the filling in of the sentences, this bit may be left out for very little ones, or parents/carers/teachers could act as a scribe. Older KS1 should be encouraged to do it themselves, and perhaps think of several imaginative answers for each body part!