For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Monday 19 August 2024

The Website

Every day I refresh the page to see

if my poem has gone up on the website.

Who am I kidding? I do it every hour.


More than once an hour, actually. 

Probably every few minutes. Has the poem

gone up? Has the poem gone up? It hasn’t.


And I’m not sure what to do when it does.

Throw a party? Run naked down the street?

Send a link in an email to the President


of the USA? I know I’ll do none of these things.

I’ll just read the poem over a few times and

go to bed aglow with pride. And then


what? They’ve not paid me for the poem.

I’m no further out of my overdraft than I was

a day or two ago. Letters still pile up


on the mat. The mortgage is still there.

A poem on a website does not a day’s

work make. I can’t eat exposure, however


tasty it looks. See I’m hungry for words.

Feed me with your likes. Glut me with

your clicks. I’ll sell my house for your love.


Joshua Seigal