For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Sunday 27 February 2022

I AM A COWARD

In a famous poem, Seamus Heaney

once compared his pen to a gun. Well

this may be true for certain literary behemoths

but for me it’s not. I am a coward. My pen


is what I use in the suspicion that I could

never wield proper arms. I’d run away,

notepad in hand, at the first sign of the guns.

Crammed into trains crossing borders, I might


jot down a few hollow words, but not as empty

as the ones I’m writing now, blue sky outside

the window, mug of hot coffee in hand. I am

a coward. I can’t confront the thought of my own


nonexistence. Perhaps this is why I write

in the first place, so something survives me

when I’m gone. No, my pen is not a gun.

A gun is a gun. My pen is a pen. And a poem


is nothing more than a white flag in the wind.