For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Saturday 18 December 2021

The voices in my head

that hector me are haughty men

with doctorates. They often

have grey hair and/or owlish glasses


and have frequently written scientific books

of some considerable consequence.

And yes, they are always men.


The voices in my head

that harbour me are women:

they are calming and compassionate


but don’t have too much heft behind them.

They haven’t written books.

They are flighty, ephemeral


and don’t feel safe to run to,

as though doing so

will leave me washed away


on dark and viscous tides.

So which is it:

mean but strong, or kind but weak?


I think about this as I decide

which of these words

to chuck, which to change, which to keep.