For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Tuesday 28 September 2021

another poem for National Poetry Day 2021

Here is another poem written in my capacity as an Official Ambassador for National Poetry Day. The theme this year is 'Choice' 


CHOICE


Some clever people say

we have no choice at all,

that every decision we ever make

is predetermined by synapses,

genes, and things we can’t control. 


Others contest 

that god knows everything anyway,

that the things we choose were 

known by him before we reached out

our hand to pick them.


Me? I studied these theories

long ago. Turned them round

in my still-fresh mind, looked

for holes in the argument,

flaws in the logic.


Now I stand here at the river’s edge

and as I jump in

I refute it thus

with the heft and the heart

and the heat of my splash.