For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Thursday 17 November 2016

Matthew Syed on Role Models in Sports

Matthew Syed is one of my favourite journalists. I first encountered him when I was a table tennis obsessed fourteen-year-old and he was British men's number one, and I came across his name later on when I started reading my parents’ Times newspaper, which Syed now writes for. He is a pretty inspirational guy, forging a success out of two very different careers. And his recent book Bounce is a great read, convincingly doing away with what he calls “the myth of talent” in favour of the idea that success in any domain is better explained by dedication and practice.

Nonetheless, there is an area in which I find myself consistently disagreeing with Syed. Pictures recently emerged of England captain Wayne Rooney drunk and disorderly at a wedding. Misdemeanours by leading sportspeople, especially high profile footballers, are of course nothing new, and whenever they are revealed in the press they are accompanied by proclamations to the effect that such people are ‘role models’, and it is in large part for this reason that their behaviour is unacceptable.

Syed disagrees with the idea of footballers as role models. From what I remember (he is very welcome to write to me for clarification!) he argues (a) that footballers sign up for the job to play football, not to be some kind of totem of morality, and (b) that in any case, we are misguided as a society if we use footballers as such totems. As Syed writes: “When did our culture start to indulge the ridiculous idea that because someone is good at kicking a football, they are also the kind of people to look to for guidance when it comes to personal morality?”

Now, I work full-time with children. In my work, I regularly come across children, young boys especially, who do model their own behaviour on that of their footballing idols. We can draw a distinction in Syed’s argument between the normative – i.e. what ought to be the case, and the descriptive – what is the case. It might very well be true that, as a society, we shouldn’t look to footballers as examples of how we ought to behave, but the fact is that we, and in particular children, do look at footballers in this way. To try to undo this would, it seems to me, require undoing some basic facts about children’s psychology: they see people they admire, and they try to emulate them. Children do not draw the kind of sophisticated, fine-grained philosophical distinctions that Syed does; children see, and children do.

I’ll give a specific example. Not so long ago I refereed a football match involving nine-year-old boys. The kids delighted in feigning injury, elaborately wailing and rolling around then nonchalantly getting up when their opponents kicked the ball out of play. They were constantly up in my face, aggressively challenging my every decision. They were pushing and shoving each other. They were spitting. They were swearing. And they were, all in all, very nice kids. Where did they learn this behaviour? From the telly, obviously.

Whether Syed likes it or not, the fact is that footballers are role models. They may not ask to be or want to be, but they are. Analogously, I may not want to become a father. Does that mean I am morally within my rights to just piss off when it happens (“I only signed up for the sex, not the fatherhood")?. Of course not: I undertook an action that I could reasonably foresee might lead to this consequence. Similarly with footballers: it is not unreasonable to expect them to recognise that their actions will be broadcast and publicised, and will have influence on people beyond themselves. Given the proliferation and globalisation of the sport, it almost seems as though moral rectitude should be part of the job description, rather than merely, as Syed states, “kicking a football”.

And we can bleat all we like that children should follow the example of Martin Luther King rather than John Terry, but so long as the likes of the latter penetrate our consciousness via screen and page, their example will be followed. This is just how children work. We can do various things: we can stop publicising the bad behaviour of footballers; we can teach children more about morality and personal responsibility; we can educate footballers themselves and demand certain standards of them; we can do all of this and more. But it is not enough simply to say that these guys are footballers, not monks, so let’s get on with it.  Try telling that to a nine-year-old who has just bitten his opponent “because Suarez did it.”

(As a final ad-hominem: I would be interested to know how much experience Syed has of working with and generally being around children, and whether working with them in a sporting context would influence his arguments regarding whether or not footballers are role models.)