For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Saturday 21 October 2023

Fleetville Infant School send me a 'Get Well' poem x

Towards the end of 2019 I had a breakdown. For a couple of months I was unable to work. Since then my mental health journey has been a lot more positive, marked by occasional, inevitable pitfalls, but also graced with many successes. I have had books published, got to grips with virtual workshops which has almost eliminated overnight stays from my work schedule, continued to develop a wonderful relationship with my wife, and basically gone from strength to strength.

Since the beginning of the Ukraine war my mental health has suffered, fluctuating to some extent with the vagaries of that conflict. The new war in the Middle East, coupled with developments in my private life, has led to further mental health issues. I know I am not alone. Very, very far from it. I also know that, both relatively and objectively, I am very lucky. Nonetheless, I've been waking up feeling sad and scared. Concentration has been difficult, and I do feel lonely. Lonely because my anxiety lives within me, and no one else. I have to carry it around, just as everyone has to carry round their own stuff. Such is the nature of the human condition. 

Why am I writing this? Well, coupled with my anxiety has been a busy work schedule. I have beene extremely fortunate to have done some work with amazing schools and institutions over the last half term. Yesterday I was due to pay a visit to Fleetville Infant School, where I have been Patron of Reading since 2014. I have developed a long and fruitful relationhip with this school, and am always overjoyed at the excitement among the wee ones when I enter the building. For the first time since 2019, however, I felt I couldn't go in. My mental health meant I was afraid I wouldn't do the visit justice. I was honest with the school, and in turn they were good to me: some of their pupils wrote me a 'get well' poem!! I had tears in my eyes as I read it:


They also sent me a video of the poem being performed:



There is, after all, such goodness in the world. I send everyone peace, light and love, and thank you so much to the amazing, inspiring children and staff at Fleetville Infant School.