For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Monday 10 October 2022

National Poetry Day Poems from Moat Farm Junior School

I have been an Official Ambassador for National Poetry Day since 2016. I was really excited when Ms Wilding from Moat Farm Junior School got in touch to say that her school would be holding a poetry competition. This year's theme for National Poetry Day was 'the environment', and I am delighted to be able to share the four winning poems from Moat Farm on my blog. Everyone involved should be very proud of themselves!

Yellow 6’s Poem


Lucious expanses of greenery once carpeted my land,

Where animals roamed freely and forests could expand.

The temperature was cool, allowing our planet to flourish and grow,

We would have looked after you, if we had known now what we know.


Watching ice caps melt fills me with remorse,

What did the polar bears do for the world to go so off course?

Arctic animals wasting away,

Will they live to see another day?


All the trees of the rainforest are being cut down,

Making me sorrowful, causing a frown.

Endangered species losing their home,

Leaving them isolated, fearful and all alone.


Looking out at the once glistening, majestic sea,

Now filled with plastic, what has happened to me?

Coral, that was once vibrant, is now fading away,

A fear of dread haunts me each and every day.


What did l do to deserve this? How could we let the world fall apart?

Every inch of the environment that flounders, breaks a piece of my heart.

What will become of me? Will I simply waste away?

I plead Rescue me, I implore before, we become one giant weed.


Blue 3’s Poem 


My name is save petrol and diesel

Only electric driving for me

My name is feed the black magpies

So that they bring me good luck

My name is feed the beautiful robins

So they can fly in the clear, blue sky

My name is clean the seven seas

So the fantastic fish can swim happily

My name is give the pretty daisies clean, fresh water

So I can make seven daisy chains

My name is pick up all the dirty rubbish

To make the world clean and tidy

My name is look after the little bluebells

So I can pick them for my gorgeous mum

My name is pine tree

To make the world pretty and nice

My name is feed the bright and colourful parrots

So that they can talk to me

My name is water

Keeping the planet healthy

My name is save the ocean

So we can swim with dolphins

My name is clean up the plastic

To save the Galapagos turtles

My name is keep school tidy

So we can run, jump and play


The Future of our Garden (by Yellow 5)


Pulling on our wellington boots,

Stumbling past forest school, over tree roots,

A gardening club adventure awaits,

Sunhats at the ready or umbrellas just in case.


Trowels at the ready and watering cans in hand,

An army of helpers to cultivate the land,

Spring bulbs need planting,

Let weeding commence,

Our bodies unwinding, our shoulders less tense.


Digging with shovels through muddy soil,

Harvesting Sandwell’s biggest Carrot – it’s blood, sweat and toil.

We’ve got garlic, onions, tomatoes and peas,

Mr Adams’s giant pumpkin and fruit on the trees.


A solitary fox wandering around,

A million invertebrates hiding below ground,

The little red robin perching on an icy fence,

He’d migrate to summer climates if he had any sense,


The year is 2122, a hundred years have gone by,

Each passing year a new record temperature high,

Once there were carrots, now we have varieties of grape,

No more cabbages, oranges instead – it’s a transformed landscape.


Where once there was grass, only desert remains,

Wildfires ravage, our garden’s in flames,

Wildlife’s disappeared – the robin’s here no longer,

We have geckos instead, you probably think I scaremonger.


I do not jest, this tragedy is real,

It’s time to take action, our planet we must heal,

Plant trees, recycle rubbish and stop burning fossil fuels,

Spread the word, tell your friends, don’t stop till the world cools!


Changes (Red 4)


Long, long ago the Earth was full of life,

Full of life until humans expanded…


They ripped away habitats and homes,

They only care about their mobile phones,

They ripped away the trees,

They messed up the seas,

They ripped away animal’s lives,

They cut through it like a tray of knives.


So stop, please, stop or it will end up like knot,

I am just repeating this in case you forgot,

We are nearly out of time,

Some of your actions have been a crime,

But it is not too late to change our fate,

If you start today.