For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Wednesday 7 September 2022

Everyone Laughed

at the poem on the internet, and it made us

feel good. For one thing, we were all in it

together, a community of chuckles

and mutual disbelief – how could a poem so bad


have been published? What kind of asshat

would write a poem like that? But also,

we were secretly pleased that we weren’t

the ones being ripped apart. We were grateful


that, even though it may be the case

that not many people read our work,

at least we weren’t being pilloried online.

I remember being at school, never bullied


but often ignored. I hung on the edges of circles,

grateful that the kid being taunted wasn’t me.

I enjoyed it. No one was looking my way – 

I was safe. I was safe, and everyone laughed.