For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Monday 18 January 2021

'WHO ARE WE?' - SPECIAL POEM FOR CHAUCER JUNIOR SCHOOL, ILKESTON

For me, one of the unanticipated benefits of lockdown is that I have been able to interact lots on social media with teachers, schools and, dare I say it, fans. I recently ran a competition on Twitter, in which I promised to write a special, bespoke poem for the winner. I was delighted when Chaucer Junior School in Ilkeston came out of the hat, and I am really excited to be able to share with you the poem that I have written. The request was to write a poem about books and reading, to be displayed in their library for when schools go back. Furthermore, I was also asked to incorporate the 'core values' of the school, namely: Respect, Tolerance, Cooperation, Aspiration, Kindness and Appreciation. Here, then, is the poem written especially for Chaucer Junior School!

WHO ARE WE? A poem for Chaucer Junior School


We are respect

Like the shiny cover of a new book

Standing proudly on the shelf


We are tolerance

Like letters sitting side by side

Making meaning with their union


We are cooperation

Like books banding together

To build a bank of wisdom


We are aspiration

Like sentences strung sublimely

As they stretch towards the sun


We are kindness

Like a solid spine gently holding

Many different pages


We are appreciation

Like a wide-eyed reader

As they gaze upon a galaxy


We hold the world

Between our covers


We are Chaucer Juniors.



In my bounteous munifence, I also recorded the following video of myself reading the poem. Hopefully it will cause everyone at Chaucer Juniors to spontaneously combust with excitement!