For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Monday 23 February 2015

Poems About The Holocaust

This morning I worked with a Year 9 class to create poems about The Holocaust. I found this challenging, to say the least. I started off by sharing with them 'The Butterfly' by Pavel Friedman, a 17 year old inmate at Theresienstadt concentration camp. We then discussed the kinder transport, and, with the help of various visual stimuli, I asked the students to imagine how they might feel leaving their homes and parents for a new life. The following poems are examples of what resulted. I am very proud of what the students achieved in this lesson.


Hope by Syeda
There was a light,
A subtle yet fierce glow,
A light of comfort and reassurance.
There was a light at the end of the tunnel.

I asked many questions,
“Where are we going?”
“Why are you not coming?”
All I was told was, “there is a light.”

My parents put me in the train.
They said their final goodbye.
They gave me their love,
The train set off.
There was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, I am grown.
I am in a safe country,
A home called Britain.
And I know what the light was.
It was hope.
A light that gave me the greatest gift of all.
A light that gave me a chance.
There was a light at the end of the tunnel.


Goodbye by Maariya

Goodbye Germany,
I thought as I waved.
Goodbye to the fear,
The fear of death.

Goodbye dear mother,
I’ll miss your delicious foods,
Your warm hugs.
But most of all, I’ll miss you!

As the final bittersweet tear fell,
I whispered “hello”.
 
Hello to a safe world.
Hello to a new future.
Hello to a new home.
Hello to a better life.


My Poem by Amarah

To die of fear
Is worse than dying of a disease.
At least, to me that is.

For the girl with the blue ribbon,
Tying her straggly hair in a loose bunch,
Dying of fear is amazing.
Amazing to forget that you can live now.
To die then.

I talked to the boy with the radish hair,
Who looked like one too.
He said that dying of fear is worse,
Because you know the world is still hanging in the balance,
On one thread.
Barely capable of holding on.

I asked the tall lady, the snowlady with the carrot nose,
Where are we going?
Where is my mum?
Who are you?
She blinked. I turned away.
My sanity is whisked way too.
Because I fear she is really a snowman.

And then, the grumbling stopped.
Time to step out.
Into absolutely nothing.