For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Thursday 12 February 2015

ANNOYING PEOPLE - Workshop Idea (KS2/3)

There are few things more cathartic or enjoyable than letting off steam about people who really annoy you. This can be turned into a fun creative activity for children and teenagers who otherwise do not particular enjoy writing.

Step One
Have a discussion with the group about people who they find really annoying (rule: nobody present can be talked about). Who is the most annoying person they can think of? What are the most annoying things that person does?

Step Two
Each student has to identify the most annoying person they can think of, and write a list of all the annoying things that person does. Prizes can be given for the longest list. Encourage students to go into a bit of detail.

Step Three
Here is my poem 'Richard Bennett', about a very annoying bully at my school:



Discuss with students some of the ways in which I turned a list of annoying characteristics into a poem. They might discuss things such as
  • rhyming
  • repetition of chorus
  • funny/interesting ending
In the light of this, they can make their own lists into poems. These do not have to rhyme. It may be as simple as adding a repeating phrase or chorus. Here are some examples from students with whom I have run this workshop:


My Sister by Rekha
My sister
She pulls my hair
and laughs at me
and says I’m a horrible girl.

My sister
She kicks me
and steals my stuff
and hits me.

My sister
Puts dirt on my face
and I find it horrible.

My sister
bullies me sometimes
because she is crazy.

My Brother by Fazeela

My brother is a bully
He once got excluded from school
He is a fool
I wish he would leave me alone
He is the only child in my family with a phone
He is a spoilt brat
He even has a cat
My mother says nothing to him
He is always this bad
I wish he would leave me alone