For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Monday 30 January 2023

I received a letter from pupils at Pinewood School, Swindon

I had a strange surprise through my letterbox the other week. To students, who were part of a virtual workshop I led with Pinewood School recently, sent me a handwritten letter! They shared a wonderful poem, and asked me a few questions. You can't see it very clearly, but here is a picture of the letter:



I thought my tens of blog readers might be interested in my response. Here it is:

Dear [names removed] (and everyone else at Pinewood)


Thank you so much for the lovely letter I received recently. This is the only time students have ever written to me at my home address, and it was a fantastic surprise. You wrote your letter in wonderful handwriting; I hope you don’t mind that my response to you is typed. My handwriting is not very neat!


Firstly, I loved your wonderful poem about skiing. Well done! I have never been skiing. I don’t really like snow, so I don’t know if I ever will go. 


You asked me a few interesting questions. Here are my answers:


  • I think I wrote my first ever poem when I was five or six. It was about otters, and it goes like this: ‘An otter had a long tail, and when I say long, I mean really long’. That’s it. It’s not very good. I was only five or six. If you go onto my website you can have a look at some of the work I did when I was in primary school. You can see how bad my spelling was. 


  • I don’t remember the first poem I ever read. It was probably some kind of nursery rhyme. I remember that the first book of poetry I owned was a book called Don’t Put Mustard in the Custard by Michael Rosen. We had a tape cassette (do you know what those are??), and we used to listen to the poems in the car. 


  • Apart from cats and dogs, my favourite animal is the lemur. They are gorgeous!! If I could have one wish, it would be for a pack of lemur to leap all over me. 


Thank you so much, again, for your letter. It really made my day. And thank you to everyone at Pinewood for having me for a lovely virtual visit! If you want to read lots of free poems, please do take a look at my website www.joshuaseigal.co.uk