For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Tuesday 17 March 2020

'WHEN I GET TO BE' - POEM IDEA INSPIRED BY LANGSTON HUGHES

When I Get to be a Chef - by Yaniv, Year 8
When I get to be a chef
I’m going to create a dish
Of happiness and tastiness
And watch people enjoy it
There will be meats and rice
Chicken and potatoes
And the sweet desserts will
Be the talk of the town
And once it is eaten
Smiles will arise on my customers faces
Talk will emerge
Of the greatest restaurant
and I will make dishes
For the best and most powerful people
I will open a place
For all to eat
All who go will be happy and full
All because I made it
When I am going to be a chef
I’ll make the world see
What cooking for you means to me
And when it is all over
When I am to weak
to carry on
I will remember the wonders of cooking
How I changed the world
And with my children
And my children’s children
They will carry on
And happiness will emerge again
But not until
I become a chef.

.....................................................................................................................................................
The poem above was inspired by Langston Hughes's poem 'Daybreak in Alabama'. The writing idea that followed was simple: think of something you'd like to be (it could be an occupation, or it could be weird and fantastical like a zombie or unicorn), and describe would you would do if you were that thing. Here are some previous examples of students' efforts.