For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Thursday 12 May 2016

Personal Blurbs - wonderful poems by Year 7 students

A few weeks ago I blogged about a fun workshop idea, in which students write book-style blurbs about themselves and their own lives. I recently ran the workshop with a small group of Year 7 students, and I'm pleased to report that it went very well! We gathered in the library, and each student had to pick a book they hadn't (yet) read. They then discussed, bases solely on the blurb, whether they would like to read it or not, and why. Having thus identified what makes an effective blurb, students then wrote blurbs about themselves. Here are some examples of the fantastic poetry they produced:

The Story of Happiness and Laughter by Zeena
Every little moment, big or small,
Join an eleven year old girl
As she discovers that she can do
Much more than she imagined!
“The most meaningful story” – Emma

The Story of My Life by Khadija

Sad
Happy
Distress
Joy
This book contains all the emotions
Read now to find out the adventures of my life
“The most weird book” – Tom

The Most Dangerous Book in the World by Mahrukh

I used to live in Pakistan
But now I came to London
My gorgeous life turned to
Boring life.
When I got admission in the school
I made friends and live my life happily.
“I didn’t even know that my daughter
Will become a writer” – Mum

The World’s Most Boring Book by Hoor

Matching socks
Sitting down
Looking at the ceiling
Eating yucky food
Listening to my sister
Sleeping
Playing Mario Kart
So boring!
Soooo boring!
Ummm this whole book
Is mostly my sister doing nothing
She likes chicken burgers
And pepsi.

Am I Real or Fake? By Stepheny

Stepheny enters the land of Nazareth
Also known as the land of dreams
She is caught in all the mischief
And chaos in this world
And because of this she is sent
To the Queen of Nazareth’s palace.
What happens to her?
Stepheny has inherited the power
Of the eye of hope
Because of this she can see
Hidden creatures

That normal people can’t see