For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Tuesday 16 September 2014

SONG TITLES - Poetry Workshop/Warm Up Idea for Teens

I got this idea from Sarah Perry, a poet and educator who does a lot of work with teens. It is a very fun activity, and can be used either as a warm up, or as a fun, informal session in its own right. It is very, very simple.

Step One
Each student writes down a list of song titles (e.g. 'Blue Suede Shoes', 'Wonderwall', etc). There could be a lightly competitive element with a prize for the longest list.

Step Two
Students get into small groups and arrange 10-15 of their song titles into a poem. They must collaborate in deciding which of their song titles to use. They are allowed to include no other words. (Except maybe simple connectives, if you are feeling generous.)

Step Three
Groups to practice performing their pieces.

Here is a poem I compiled as an example:


Song Title Poem (each line is a different song title)

I Believe in a Thing Called Love.
You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’.
I’m Not The Only One.
Am I Wrong?
Blame It On Me.
All of Me.
My Head Is a Jungle.
I Just Can’t Get You Out of My Head.
Crazy Stupid Love.
She Looks So Perfect.
I See Fire.
I Wish
I Could Be The One.

Let It Go.