For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Sunday 27 July 2014

Day and Night - Workshop Idea (& Poem) for KS2/3

Day and Night

In the day
I haul myself from the warmth of my sheets
and yawn as I take a shower.
I have a quick breakfast, then put
my poems into my backpack.
On my way to school I worry about
whether the kids will like me;
whether the new poem I’ve written
will make them laugh,
and whether the teacher
will invite me back.
Some kids laugh
and some kids don’t.
On my way back home I think about
all the things I could have done
differently. I bury my mind
in the pages of a book,
eat supper and go to bed.

At night
I shower in laughter and money.
I have a thousand doughnuts
for breakfast, and never get fat.
Every poem I write brings joy
to children across the globe,
and causes countries
to lay down their arms.
Teachers queue twice
around the world
to invite me to their schools.
At night there is no such thing
as regret.
Every cloud is the hug of a parent.
Every thunderclap is a round of applause,
and every drop of rain
is a funny joke. 
.........................
Firstly, I hope you enjoyed this poem. When writing it I faced something of a dilemma: should I write the poem from 'my' point of view, or from the point of view of a child? Much of my poetry takes place from the latter point of view, or at least blurs the distinction, but the above poem very much adopts the perspective of a fully-grown, adult poet. The 'I' of the above poem is not a child, or pseudo-child. I'm sure this is a very important issue within the realm of children's poetry, and children's literature generally, but I'm not sure whether here is the best place to discuss it. What I would say is that I hope the resultant sense of 'authenticity' acts as a spur for the children's own writing. What I would like to do now is to outline an idea for a poetry workshop, based on some of the ideas in my poem.

  • Warm Up

Each student writes a 'timeline' of a typical day. They can include the events that occur, and how they feel about them. Each student could aim to jot down five such events, which span the space between getting up and going to bed.

  • Poem Sharing and Discussion

Share my poem 'Night and Day' (above) with the students. Discuss the difference between what happens 'in the day' and what happens 'at night'. Is one true and the other false? What kind of language have I used towards the end of the poem?

  • Poem Writing

Using the ideas generated in the warm up, students write their own 'Night and Day' poems. The key idea here is to contrast reality with the imagination; to juxtapose the mundane with the fantastical, and to reify the dreams, ambitions and desires that the students have. I hope this exercise shows that poetry can encompass both the real and the imaginary, and can blur and question the distinction between the two. As ever, enjoy!