Warm Up Exercise
Pupils write as many examples as they can think of in each of the following categories:
- Something funny
- Something beautiful
- Something important (to them)
- Something interesting
- Something weird
- This workshop marries the conceptual with the concrete in a way that is easy for pupils to engage with.
- Differentiation is built into it - the warm up exercise has provided the raw material for everyone to work with in whichever ways they choose.
- Pupils are able to go as deep as they like. The ideas can be humorous and silly, deep and meaningful, or both. Pupils are given the space to explore meaningful, personal issues but are not forced to do so.
- I reckon this workshop could even work with KS1 pupils. For KS1 perhaps given each table the task of coming up with an example in each of the categories mentioned above in the 'Warm Up' section. Then stick 'poetry is' at the beginning of each of them, and join them up to make a group poem! I'd bet that this will be an impressive piece of work from such young pupils!