For lots more exciting info about me, please go to my main home - www.joshuaseigal.co.uk

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Striking A Balance


I’ve heard it said, although I can’t remember by whom, that most people aren’t interested in poetry because most poetry isn’t interested in people. A glance through publications such as Poetry Review seems to confirm that a lot of poetry doesn’t particular care to appeal to those of us without academic qualifications.

Sometimes, however, poetry can go too far the other way, striving after universal appeal at the expense of subtlety and nuance. Slams, for example, are full of this kind of stuff. I try to strike a balance. Perhaps not very successfully – I haven’t been published in Poetry Review and I didn’t do especially well in the handful of slams I’ve been to. Be this as it may, I want to talk about attempting to straddle an apparent dichotomy in that aspect of poetry that interests me most – children’s poetry.

I think that younger children especially often like poetry because the sorts of poems they are exposed to are funny and not especially ‘difficult to get’. The danger here is that such poems can get too silly, perhaps relying heavily on toilet or ‘yuck’ humour. I don’t think there is anything drastically wrong with this: children laughing and having fun is an inherently good thing. What is undoubtedly true though is that this is not the sort of stuff that is going to inculcate a lasting appreciation for poetry and language; children, after all, grow out of toilet humour and silliness quite quickly!

But I think that, perhaps in a conscious attempt to avoid this, some children’s poets can stray too far from the whimsy and fun that makes a lot of children like poetry. At its worst children’s poetry can get terribly didactic, ramming ‘morals’ or ‘lessons’ down children’s throats. Some children’s poets also write in a way that is not easy to understand about ephemera that stray far from the realities of everyday life. No doubt this is due to a worthy desire not to patronise children or shield them from the ‘difficult’ side of poetry, but let these poets not kid themselves: some bookish, clever children may like what they have to offer, but most children, like most adults when it comes to Poetry Review, will not be interested.

So the ideal is this: write in a way that is fun and accessible, but in a way that is not overly silly or patronising. Write such that children who are not necessarily top of their literacy lessons will be engaged and enthused, but such that genuinely clever and interesting things are done with words.  I am not saying that I’ve come remotely close to achieving these things, but it is something I strive towards.